Wednesday, October 1, 2008

To Preach or not to Preach

I recently joined Vertical 713, an outreach ministry based here in Houston, for a night of street witnessing at Herman Park and downtown.

I had the opportunity to speak with a merry-go-round operator (I can’t remember his name) at The Aquarium in downtown Houston. There weren’t many people in line so when I handed him a million dollar bill, he asked me what it was about. I told him there was a million dollar question on the back…would you go to Heaven if you die? He laughed it off a little and had a smile on his face as he thought about it. He said he wasn’t sure because he “did some bad things in his life”. He didn’t really want to elaborate so I asked him if some of those bad things included breaking some of the 10 Commandments. He casually agreed and then I began asking him if he’s ever lied, stolen, blasphemed, etc. As he admitted to breaking each of those laws, he quickly grew somber in his countenance. He admitted his guilt if he stood before a Holy God and said he would only deserve Hell. I then presented the Good News to him and let him know that God provided a way through Jesus Christ for him to be forgiven. I ended the discussion by telling him to read the Gospels and think about our conversation. He thanked me and said he would put much thought into it. As I walked away, I glanced back and noticed he was reading the tract I handed to him. I pray that God opens his heart and waters the seed of the Gospel that was planted in him.

This is just one of many witnessing encounters that many Christians, who use the law and grace, can attest to. I only share this story because of recent comments made by other Christians, including Joel Houston of Hillsong United at the recent Hillsong Conference in Houston, TX. Comments such as, “All we’re here to do is love people and be the hands and feet of Jesus.” Now I’m not even sure what that means but according to Joel Houston, we “don’t need to preach” Jesus but just love on people. In fact, in one of his workshop sessions, his response to questions about outreach was that, “we don’t need to get on a soapbox and preach”. He also told a story of how he had been going to a local coffee shop for seven years and never preached but just talked to people. Wow…talk about extreme relationship evangelism…if you can even call this evangelism.

So here was a crowd hungry to go out into the world to reach lost sinners and Joel, a very influential figure with young Christians, discourages them from preaching the gospel…what a shame.

That same night after we finished a night of sharing the gospel, a friend of mine received a phone call from another Christian. She told him that she doesn’t agree with our “methods” and we simply need to tell people that “Jesus loves them” instead of preaching Law and Grace.

So on one hand, we have a famous worship leader discouraging eager Christians from preaching the gospel at all, and on the other hand, we have Christians who suggest that if we must preach, we only need to be talking about the love of Jesus.

In The Great Commission, Jesus commands us to “go into the world and preach the gospel to all creation”. The word preach here literally means to herald or proclaim (particularly divine truth) and in order to proclaim anything, we must open our mouths and use words. This is not a command to be “the hands and feet of Jesus” but to be the mouthpiece of Christ by preaching his good news. If the Great Commission was only meant for the disciples, then the gospel would have died off with their martyrdoms. Furthermore, in Romans 10:14-15, Paul systematically explains that in order for someone to be saved, they must hear the gospel, and in order for them to hear the gospel, someone must preach it to them. In other words, open your mouth Christian so that the sinner may hear the gospel. It’s as simple as that. So rather than hiding behind our fears and cowardice by suggesting we should minimize the gospel to our actions, let us boldly and without hindrance preach the Kingdom of God (Acts 28:31).

Also, I don’t argue against telling people that Christ loves them; however, just as a good doctor must first tell his sick patient that he is indeed ill and needs a cure, we as Christians must show the sinner that they are indeed sinners and need God’s forgiveness. Otherwise, the preaching of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing but to those who believe it is the power of God unto salvation (1 Corinthians 1:23-24).

And while I can reference many more verses and point out that the Church of Jesus Christ was built on the preaching of the gospel by the apostles, firsthand experience will always trump any theological arguments or differences in the matter of if and how we are to to do so. With that said, I challenge Christians to get involved with a Biblically sound outreach ministry or go to Way of the Master’s website and equip yourselves to share your faith. Also, as I pointed out earlier, there is a wonderful outreach ministry, Vertical 713, that consistently hits the streets on Friday nights and preaches the gospel throughout Houston. Feel free to contact them or send me a message if you're interested in doing the same.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey

Nice blog.. I was there for the Hillsong United Conf too.. what Joel meant was that he never preached at the coffee house but blessed people.. More often we Christians tend to start preaching than living the life.. That's probably what he meant that we don;t need to jump on a soap box and start preaching if we can't live a life of Jesus..
He also mentioned first live a life of Jesus and then talk the talk.

How often do we see Christians jump and preach but their lives stink?

Anonymous said...

How did he bless people? I was 16 going into a bar (teen night)there was a revival in the parking lot, my soul, my spirit, my mind was hungry for something (though at the time I didn't realize it) and I felt empty inside. I couldn't go in I was listening to the preacher and there were many people from his church there to pass out flyers, and to pray for our salvation etc. I was standing there for 30 minutes in awe of the Gospel as he preached. I got closer until I was in the front of the small crowd. At the end of his sermon they handed out pens, bumper stickers and a few shirts, but not one person, nobody came up to me and said "Hi how are you? I just want to tell you Jesus loves you" At that time in my life I really needed someone to talk to I wanted to hear more of what Jesus was and could help me do in my life and how I could serve him.
Romans 10:14 14How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? Edifying someones spirit, soul, mind, with the Gospel of Jesus Christ is much more of a blessing than bestowing worldly gifts. I needed someone to preach to me that night. I needed someone to come up to me and show me a smile and tell me there Testimony and what God has done in their lives. I needed someone to say "Yes we were made in God's image but we are human and we make mistakes, fall, and our lives no matter how much we live for Jesus is not perfect, we fall, but we get back up and He is there to forgive us and take us back." You don't have to be perfect to Preach the word of God you just have to be a willing vessel. I have had friends who are not saved minister to me and they have no idea that they did so. How else are you going to reach the sick,the depressed,the widow, the orphan if you don't Preach to them the gospel of Jesus Christ. If I look at someone and see how nice they are, how they share what they have, how they bend over backwards to help those in need, see them happy, chipper, and shrug off people talking about them, etc. I would be like some people I know. That think I am going to heaven because I am a nice person, always happy, etc. When the fact of the matter is they are not. The only way into the Kingdom is thru Christ Jesus. How will they know that if no one has Preached to them? They won't. Anonymous maybe you see Preaching as finger pointing and if you have had that experience I am sorry I apologize for it. Richard thanks for the blogs always love reading them keep them coming Stay blessed and Guided hermano. jen<><

Anonymous said...

well! you can assume whatever you may that I am against preaching..because at the end of the day what matters is how God sees us not how humans do. I am not against preaching but I'd first live my life before I preach. I agree it's our responsibility to tell people about Jesus and His love.
We have to think twice before we quote someone.

My approach would be to love on people and meet them at their point of need and then tell them about salvation through Jesus..

if a man is hungry and you don't feed him first and keep preaching its of no use. Meet his need first and tell him how much God loves him and share your testimony.

Jesus met people's need first and then asked them to not sin anymore..

Anonymous said...

Did he actually say DO NOT PREACH?

Anonymous said...

Jesus didn't heal the blind or lame so they could simply see or walk but to give glory to God and open their hearts for the gospel, not to meet their needs. What other need is more important to mankind than salvation? Did Jesus come to heal first and save second? Absolutely not.
It's important as Christians to not get caught up in what WE can do (i.e. "social justice")but what the LORD commands us to do (Mark 16:15 ). Sharing the gospel is bar none our top priority, showing the love and charity of Christ should be our fruit.
I was at the Hillsong conference also and I was very disappointed with Joel's stance on evangelism especially when two young ladies asked him specifically on how to share the gospel in their communities. He gave them no resources and no advice other than go out and let people see Christ in you. When is the last time you passed a stranger and they stopped to ask "hey...you must have Jesus!" Doesn't happen.....unless we SPEAK the salvation Christ died for. Just think of where the gospel would be if the Apostles waited to live the life first.

Rich said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rich said...

Thanks for the comments.

Anonymous and natasja: I have an audio recording of the workshop (I was going to upload the clip but the quality is bad) and Joel was making the point that we don’t have to preach Christ but rather, we just need to “be the hands and feet of Jesus”. I never said Joel commanded us "not to preach" but he did say that we don't have to get up on a soapbox and preach (he mentioned this several times). So instead of actually preaching the gospel, he suggests we simply partake in lifestyle evangelism…I agree that this is important but we can’t forsake the proclaiming of the Gospel.

And you’re right, we must always examine ourselves and let our lives be an example by leading a blameless life, especially if we are preaching and sharing our faith (see Romans 2:17-24) but no where in the Bible does scripture suggest that we have to first “live a life of Jesus” and then start preaching. Now if you’re speaking of salvation, then of course, we get saved and God sends us out. Then we’ll be like the apostles who “could not help but speak about what we have seen and heard” (Acts 4:29).

Matt (not sure if you’re anonymous): Here is something to think about, you can feed someone but if they are still in their sins, they’re just going to hell with a full belly. Yes, our good works will silence the mouths of foolish men but it is the gospel that is the power of God unto salvation.

Mel-E...exactly. As soon as the apostles were filled with the Holy Spirit, they began preaching the gospel.

Mac Garcia said...

"Love on people and meet them at their point of need and then tell them about salvation through Jesus. (17) Meet his need first and tell him how much God loves him and share your testimony.
"-II Opinions 3:16-17 (MAT)
"Jesus met people's needs first and then asked them to not sin."-Pharisees 87:76 (Luke Wark Version)

"And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature."-Mark 16:15 (KJV)